Thursday, November 08, 2007

Aidan got his big break!



Unfortunately, it was his arm. Wednesday afternoon we had a playdate at the park and it was the first day we played outside where gloves were needed. I think the gloves made his hands slippery or he didn't realize that he wasn't holding on to the chains, but he fell off of the swing. I was mostly concerned about his spine since he landed on the top of his back/bottom of his neck, but apparently he somehow broke his right radius near his wrist. I took him to the doctor last night, but he really did seem okay at the doctor's office (isn't that how it always is - why do kids always act fine in the doctor's office). The doctor thought he dislocated his elbow and it had been inadvertantly fixed and told us he would be fine. This morning, however, I could tell he was not fine. I took him back in and the doctor decided to send him for X-Rays. Sure enough, it was broken all the way through the bone. I could see the break right away on the film. They sent us to Children's hospital where Aidan was fitted with a cast. The cast goes all the way over his elbow to keep him from rotating his arm and further injuring it. Aidan did a great job (as did the girls) with all the doctor visits we had today. He was a tough little guy and held very still while they put the cast on. When I asked him if he was okay he said, "I okay, Mommy. I good." After the cast was on, he even said, "Thank you, doctor" to the person who put the cast on. However, I have to say he continues to deny that he has an injury. From two seconds after the fall until his arm was put in a cast, if I asked him where he was hurt he wouldn't answer and if I specifically asked him about his arm, he would say it didn't hurt. Why do they make it so hard???

3 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! So it was broken after all. Mommy's instinct rules! I am so glad to hear he is ok and that he was such a tough guy! :) Can you believe how he walked around and was mostly a-ok with a bone totally broken? I would have been a complete brat if it were me. I am so happy all is well. And, by the way, that pic of the three of them in the hospital is seriously one of the cutest pics of them together that I have ever seen. Just adorable! Miss you guys and hugs to you all!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Rich, Keri and Kendall said...

Ohhhhh I can hardly stand it - you guys seriously do not get a break, literally! I'm so sorry to hear about Aidan's accident. Sounds like he is doing great. Amazing how resilient kids are! I agree with Maggie - the picture of the kids in the hospital is so precious. We sure do miss you guys and I still look down the street and wait for you guys to pull into the driveway. We think of you often and I finally found your home number so I will call you so we can catch up on life. Hugs to you all.

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Buddy-boy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home